Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Working woman

I just had my first day of work. Right now I am going in at 8:30am and getting out between 5 and 5:30 but this is for training. I will be training for the rest of this week and next week (minus Monday which is a holiday). It was really fun... there were 6 of us "newbies" who are in training together. There are 2 of us girls and 4 guys. We are the ginney pigs since they haven't ever done this kind of training before. The girl and I got along right away and were having a lot of fun training together unfortunately we are not in the same department (although we are on the same floor of the building). We will be meeting with HR tomorrow for most of the day for training about the company and our benefits that we will be getting.

When I start actually doing my job I will be on the 5th floor of a 5 floor building and overlook I-75 (although it may not sound cool I am so excited... this is something that I was really hoping... I wanted to work in a place where there would be windows and I could see the "city life"). I also don't know what my hours will be (I could go in anywhere between 8am and 11am and get out after 8 hours of work... latest being 8pm). I am hoping to have a shift that starts at either 8am or 9am but I am not getting my hopes up since I will be new.

I met the COO of the company today. He was walking around while I was doing some job shadowing and the guy I was shadowing introduced me to him. Everyone in my department seem really laid back and we joked around while I was learning how they take calls and whatnot. I worked with the head of the Tier 1 Tech. Support department and his second in command. They were a lot of fun. I found out that the department head (Joe) grew up and lived in Queens, NY until he was in his mid 20's. When he interviewed me I thought he had the accent but I didn't want to ask anything. It was pretty cool. Also, the guy I shadowed lived in Long Island, NY until he was 16. So I was having fun listening to their accents!!

No comments: