Friday, September 12, 2008

Doing too much...

When I am trying to do too much my body is quick to tell me... by getting sick! Tuesday night I was really tired but did my workout anyway. I was so tight when trying to do my yoga I thought something was up. Then on Wednesday I woke up with a sore throat. Hmmm...

As the day went on I felt worse and worse. As a precaution I stopped by Publix on my way home and picked up the ingredients to make my bean soup. Since I wasn't feeling well I made it a little bit more like chicken noodle... here is what I did

CUBAN BLACK BEAN SOUP

Vegetable Ingredients:
1c celery, thinly sliced
1c red onion, diced
1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 tbs canola oil

1 ear of corn, fully cooked & removed from husk
1/2 tomato, diced

Soup and seasonings:
3c canned black beans
3c vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp celery salt
½ tsp coriander
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp clove
¼ tsp allspice
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Roux: mix 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs oil, 4 tbs water (was supposed to be vegetable stock but I ran out)

1. In my large soup pot I sautéed the vegetable ingredients (minus tomato) in a pan over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
2. Added the tomato, corn, black beans, vegetable stock, and seasonings to the sautéed vegetables. Brought to a boil over medium heat and simmered on low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Whisked in roux, simmer and stir for a few minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.

It turned out perfect. There was a slight spice that helped clear my nose and throat, and the vegetables made me feel good because of how it reminded me of chicken noodle soup and I always liked that when I was sick before. It has been perfect to just heat and eat too.

Yesterday I woke up feeling dead... headache, body ache, sore throat... so I was happy to have some soup to eat! I called in sick and slept most of the day.

Today I woke up and felt a little better but still will probably not be leaving the apartment...

No comments: