Saturday, August 16, 2008

Weekend Update

So, after such a busy week I was exhausted on Friday. I had made some plans to clean, do laundry, maybe give blood, get my hair cut, work out, and see if there were any errands that I could run however all but the working out fell thru.

I got up and made it as far as my couch before crashing. And then I couldn't get my lazy butt up again for a few hours. I managed to make it downstairs to the gym (its a good thing my gym is in my building so I can't make an excuse about not wanting to drive) and worked out. After working out I felt the need to lay in the sun so I moved up to the roof where I sat out for about an hour. I came back downstairs and made myself some black bean soup for dinner... which was delicious!! the recipe is as follows:

CUBAN BLACK BEAN SOUP

Vegetable Ingredients:
1c celery, thinly sliced
1c red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 tbs tomato, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 tbs canola oil

Soup and seasonings:
3c cooked black beans
3c vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp celery salt
½ tsp coriander
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp clove
¼ tsp allspice
Roux: mix 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs oil, 4 tbs vegetable stock

1. Sauté the vegetable ingredients in a pan over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
2. In a large pot add the black beans, vegetable stock, sautéed vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Whisk in roux, simmer and stir


I didn't have any onions in the house, which was quite amazing because I always have onions in the house. But, without the onion I decided to add a half of a chipotle in adobo sauce (with the seeds removed) and it was spicy!!! Unless you love the spices I wouldn't recommend adding it... I won't next time. To tone it down a bit I added some lemon juice and avocado and ate the soup with some tortilla chips. It helped a ton. I will be making this soup again.

After dinner I finally worked up the energy to take a shower. Which was good cause I smelled awful! Haha! After cleaning up I met up with my friend Britt and a few of his friends at La Fonda, a Mexican restaurant just down the street from my apartment. We drank Mojitos and they ate dinner as we sat on their deck. It was an amazing night but we were done at La Fonda so we moved the gathering to Midtown and went on the deck at Joe's on Juniper. It was 'Trailer Trash' night so they had cheap drink specials on PBR, they had laundry hanging up on lines on the deck, they had some old decorations (an old TV, refrigerator, toilet, etc) all over, and the played country music. It was hilarious!!

Today I got up again and made it to my couch but managed to sit there only a few minutes before getting up to make breakfast. I took some left over steel cut oats and added a few ingredients to turn them into pancakes... sort of. They didn't taste like pancakes but I still liked the way they tasted. After cooking I started doing laundry and cleaned the apartment. its nice to have everything clean!!

Not sure what the rest of my day is going to look like... I may end up back on the roof again or back in the gym... maybe both!!

No comments: