Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ham in the Crock Pot

I have been thinking a lot about my dad's famous ham.  And I really wanted to make it for Erinleigh, George, and Richard last Tuesday.  The problem:  I didn't have time to watch it cook in the stove.  The solution:  make it in the crock pot.  It is so delicious people will think you slaved for hours to make it.

Kristie's Dad's Ham Recipe


2 to 3 lbs semi-bone ham
2 cups Vernors Ginger Ale (or whatever you have on hand, however my dad swears by this only)
1 cup brown sugar
5 to 10 full cloves

Place the ham, cut side down in a crock pot.  Score the ham and place the cloves in the score.  Add the ginger ale over top.  Pack the brown sugar on top of the ham.  Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.


On the side I got corn left over from an event at work.  It was from Boston Market and I love that they put garlic with it.  And then I also made Sweet Potato Casserole. 

Sweet Potato Casserole

2 medium sweet potato, cut into thin slices
1 medium zucchini, cut into thin slices
2 medium yellow squash, cut into thin slices
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup water
couple pinches salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
splash of extra virgin olive oil
splash of maple syrup

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  In an 8 x 8 pan layer the casserole as follows:
1/3 sweet potato slices
1/2 of the raisins
1/2 of the nuts
1/2 of the zucchini slices
1/2 of the yellow squash slices
1/3 of the sweet potato slices
Rest of the nuts and raisins
Rest of the zucchini slices
Rest of the yellow squash slices
Remainder of the sweet potato slices

Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and pour over the casserole.  Cover the pan with foil and bake for about an hour.


I really enjoy the time I get to spend with the Jui's!!  Erinleigh and I have been taking the dogs for a walk each Tuesday and its fun to hear all about the going ons of their life.  :)

No comments: