Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chicken Chard Coconut Marsala

Umm yumm.  As a cook I rock!! On Thursday I made an amazing dinner for Jennie and Jeff.  They said so too, I'm not just tooting my own horn.  Haha!! 

I was going to be out of town for the weekend so I needed to use up the fresh veggies that I had in the fridge and I've been eying this recipe for a while.  Since I didn't really have what the recipe called for and since I needed to use up ingredients I took what I considered the essence of the original and made the following.  Which we all loved.  Jennie made me blog it right away so we wouldn't forget it. 

Chicken Chard Coconut Marsala

1 cup brown rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 lb. sweet potato potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
2 chicken breasts, diced
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/4 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
6 oz red chard, stalk removed, chopped
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
11/2 tsp. garam masala
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 can light coconut milk
1 tbsp. fresh taragon 

  1. Put the rice and veggie stock in a rice cooker and start. In the steamer insert put the potatoes and cook until just tender.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. 
  3. Add onion and carrot, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft. 
  4. Add zucchini and red pepper and cook until just soft. 
  5. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. 
  6. Stir in coriander, cumin, garam masala, red pepper flakes and turmeric. Add chard and stir.
  7. Add coconut milk and water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. 
  8. Add steamed potatoes, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, to coat with spices.  Bring to a simmer.
  9. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
  10. Stir in taragon.  Cook 2 to 3 minutes more. 
Why didn't I take a picture of it.  We ate it all too quickly!

No comments: