I was going to be out of town for the weekend so I needed to use up the fresh veggies that I had in the fridge and I've been eying this recipe for a while. Since I didn't really have what the recipe called for and since I needed to use up ingredients I took what I considered the essence of the original and made the following. Which we all loved. Jennie made me blog it right away so we wouldn't forget it.
Chicken Chard Coconut Marsala
1 cup brown rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 lb. sweet potato potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
2 chicken breasts, diced
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/4 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
6 oz red chard, stalk removed, chopped
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
11/2 tsp. garam masala
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 can light coconut milk
1 tbsp. fresh taragon
- Put the rice and veggie stock in a rice cooker and start. In the steamer insert put the potatoes and cook until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion and carrot, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft.
- Add zucchini and red pepper and cook until just soft.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, garam masala, red pepper flakes and turmeric. Add chard and stir.
- Add coconut milk and water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add steamed potatoes, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, to coat with spices. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in taragon. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more.