Wednesday, September 02, 2009

September All Staff Note - Joshua

I wanted to take notes of our staff meeting.  And I thought the talk that Andy Stanley gave was so amazing that it needed to be shared.  I probably won't do it justice here but here is my take away:

  • None of us know in the moment when we are making our mark.  We only realize the significance of the moment when we look back.
  • God's greatest concern for us is that we will become so successful that we will forget the Lord.
  • When Jesus prayed 'give us our daily bread' he was referring back to the time God fed the Israelites daily manna from heaven. 
  • What do you do when you don't know?  When I am waiting for God to decide how He is going to use me? How do I position myself to be used for God's glory?
Joshua was 110 years old and reflecting on his life when he said the following statements :
Joshua 23:8 - 'Cling' to the Lord your God...
Joshua 23:11 - Take diligent heed to 'love' the Lord your God...
Joshua 24:15 - As for me and my household we will 'serve' the Lord.

What set Joshua up to say this at the end of his life?  Joshua 5:13-15

13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"
  • There were usually guards & laws preventing someone armed in the presence of Joshua.  This man would have been considered an assassin.
  • Essentially Joshua asked "are you for ME or against ME"
 14 "Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, "What message does my Lord [a] have for his servant?"
  • The literal translation of 'neither' is 'no.'  Joshua asked the wrong question.  The question was not big enough. 
  • When he said commander - that was actually Joshua's title.
  • Joshua had authority over the Israelites & he was considered their greatest authority.  Joshua realized the angel had more authority than he did.
  • There are 2 question you can ask:  
    1. Do I have authority?
      • are you for me or against me?
    2. Am I under authority?
      • Who am I for?
      • What side am I on?
  • Joshua demonstrates he is uner authority by bowing down.
 15 The commander of the LORD's army replied, "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so.
  • The angel didn't answer any big question or give any big instruction.  He didn't tell him the future or how to handle any major issue.
  • Instead, Joshua was tested to see if he would surrender/submit to God.  It was more about making God's name great.

My takeaways:
  • Live as a women who is under authority.
  • Obey God, trust him with the outcome.
  • God takes responsibility to the life that is fully submitted to Him.
  • It doesn't matter who is for me or against me.  It's about who I am for.
  • It's not about who is on my side but who's side I am on.
  • If I win I win.  And if I lose I win.  Because I trust God with the outcome.
We never know our defining moments until they are long gone.  Position yourself so God will make his mark thru you.

No comments: