A quick hint... I can never eat a full jar of applesauce before it goes bad so to save money, I buy unsweetened applesauce in individual containers when they are on special at the supermarket. Then I can keep them in the refrigerator until I need them for a recipe or until I want to eat on plain!! Do unsweetened, you can always sweeten them if you want.
There are a ton of ingredients however its really easy, it smells fabulous, and we will see in about 20 minutes how good they taste!!
3/4 C walnuts
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C whole smelt flour (or you could just use whole wheat flour again)
1/4 C wheat germ (you could use old fashioned oats instead)
3 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C dried unsweetened coconut
1/4 C pumpkin seeds
1 C unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C maple syrup
3 tsp vanilla
Ingredients to Shed:
3 small unpeeled carrots (or 2 large)
1 unpeeled apple (I used Braeburn)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Chop walnuts and combine with other dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine wet ingredients in glass measuring cup and mix well to incorporate.
- Shread carrots and aples and add them to the dry mixture. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and combine well. The batter will be very thick.
- Use a 1/4 C measure to scoop, divide the batter into the muffin cups and spread into the cup. Bake until a toothpick inserted into several of the muffins comes out clean and the muffins begin to brown slightly, 25 - 30 minutes.