Friday, September 11, 2009

Morning Glory Muffins

So, I decided I wanted to bake something this morning and have it for brunch.  So, I pulled out my trusty cook book (What the Bible Says about Healthy Living Cookbook) and found a recipe.  Of course, like every other recipe, I changed it up a bit.  I used mostly all organic ingredients but use what you have on hand.

A quick hint... I can never eat a full jar of applesauce before it goes bad so to save money, I buy unsweetened applesauce in individual containers when they are on special at the supermarket.  Then I can keep them in the refrigerator until I need them for a recipe or until I want to eat on plain!!  Do unsweetened, you can always sweeten them if you want.

There are a ton of ingredients however its really easy, it smells fabulous, and we will see in about 20 minutes how good they taste!!

Dry Ingredients:
3/4 C walnuts
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C whole smelt flour (or you could just use whole wheat flour again)
1/4 C wheat germ (you could use old fashioned oats instead)
3 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C dried unsweetened coconut
1/4 C pumpkin seeds

Wet Ingredients:
1 C unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C maple syrup
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla

Ingredients to Shed:
3 small unpeeled carrots (or 2 large)
1 unpeeled apple (I used Braeburn)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin tin or line with paper liners.
  2. Chop walnuts and combine with other dry ingredients in a large bowl
  3. Combine wet ingredients in glass measuring cup and mix well to incorporate.
  4. Shread carrots and aples and add them to the dry mixture.  Stir to incorporate.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and combine well.  The batter will be very thick.
  6. Use a 1/4 C measure to scoop, divide the batter into the muffin cups and spread into the cup.  Bake until a toothpick inserted into several of the muffins comes out clean and the muffins begin to brown slightly, 25 - 30 minutes.
Instead of baking all of them now, freeze some of the batter for a quick muffin later.  Also, the muffins freeze well, so put them in a freezer bag and eat later!  Yummy!!

No comments: