Friday, September 04, 2009

Chicken and Spinach with Mushrooms

I found this recipe recently and thought I really needed to try it... it sounded great, I mixed it up with the ingredients I had on hand but I still think it was missing something.  So, I am writing the recipe as I think it should be... not as I actually made it.  
 
Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups (1 lb) diced chicken
1 small onion, chopped
4 oz baby portabello mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tsp kosher salt
6 oz baby spinach
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2-1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
1 tbsp basil
1/2 tsp chilli powder


Directions
  • Heat oven to 400 degrees F. 
  • In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and diced chicken.  Cook until almost all pink is gone, then add onions. Cook, stirring until just soft, about 4 min. 
  • Add mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt and continue stirring until softened, about 4 min. 
  • Gradually add spinach and stir until completely wilted, about 2 min. Transfer to a large bowl and add chicken; wipe skillet clean.
  • Whisk together flour, broth, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt and add to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk until mixture is boiling and simmer until just thick, about 2 min. Add to chicken mixture with spices, then transfer to a 2-qt baking dish. 
  • Bake until golden, 25 to 30 min.

You could add something as a top... maybe rice, biscuits, or phillo dough.  Enjoy!!

No comments: