Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend Blizzard

So the almost 1/2" of snow that we got on Thursday is still around!!  Can't believe it.  It has been cold enough here for the snow to stick for a full weekend.  I haven't seen this since I moved down to Atlanta over 5 years ago!  I'm ready for it to be gone :)

Since I couldn't leave my house (remember the blizzard mentioned above), I decided to get a few things done around my house...

I have been dying to cook with the cast iron dutch oven that my parents got for me for Christmas and finally I did!! Figuring blizzard conditions are the perfect excuse to cook with cast iron, Thursday night I went all out and cooked chili and corn bread for my good friend Teesha.  I love this corn bread recipe and have been using over and over this winter...

Skillet Corn Bread




3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. soy milk
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp canola oil
corn, frozen

Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, milk, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons oil. Then stir into dry ingredients until they are moistened. Add as much corn as you would like, stir to combine.

Spray a small cast iron skillet with Pam (if you want to use a large cast iron skillet double the recipe). Heat on top of stove until very hot. Remove from stove and spoon in batter. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.


And, I changed up my usual chili recipe...




1/2 bag dried navy beans
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 small onions, diced
1 package mushrooms, diced
Frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 package frozen mixed peppers (red, yellow, and green)
15 oz can Bushes chili beans
46 oz (or more) low sodium V8 juice
1 small can diced black olives, drained
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can chopped tomato with jalapeno

Soak the beans overnight. 

Saute the onions over medium heat until they turn transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients except the can of chopped tomato with jalapeno.  Let sit over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue over heat for at least 1 hour, however the longer the better.  Right before you are ready to serve add the can of tomato.

Yummy!!  I have had multiple meals this weekend of this same chili and corn bread and I'm still not over it! 

Friday I spent the day taking down Christmas... both of my trees are put back away and all decorations are down. Saturday I chilled with Jennie and we watched a ton of movies while she crocheted and I knitted.  I have another scarf complete and am about to give it to a girlfriend.  Before I do, I'll take a picture and let you see it.

No comments: