Originally Jennie and I were going to cook together to make dinner however Jennie had to help out a friend so planned changed a bit and I made dinner. What did I make? For starters...
French Chicken in a Pot
- 1 whole roasting chicken, giblets removed and discarded (mine was a little over 4 lbs)
2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1 package fresh poultry herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme)
- 1/2 lemon + zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion , chopped medium (about 1/2 cup)
2 small stalk celery , chopped medium (about 1/4 cup)
6 medium garlic cloves , peeled and trimmed
1 bay leaf
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
- corn starch
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt, pepper, and chicken seasoning. Stuff the chicken with some of the poultry herbs and 1/2 lemon plus zest.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven (mine was 5 qts) over medium heat until just smoking. Add chicken breast-side down; scatter onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and the rest of the poultry herbs around chicken.
- Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon to flip chicken breast-side up and cook until chicken and vegetables are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat; place large sheet of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid. Transfer pot to oven and cook until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 110 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with foil, and rest 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain chicken juices from pot through fine-mesh strainer; discard solids (you should have about 3/4 cup juices). Pour into saucepan, add lemon juice and set over low heat. Add corn starch to thicken.
- Carve chicken, adding any accumulated juices to saucepan.
On the side, I made Cabbage Soup (this is the weight watchers version, not sure if that matters to you or not)...
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small can tomato paste
4 cups chopped cabbage
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 cup green beans
2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Spray pot with non stick cooking spray saute onions carrots and garlic for 5 minutes. Add broth, Tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano and salt/pepper to taste. Simmer for a about 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are tender then add the zuccini and simmer for another 5 or so minutes.