Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sleeeeeeeepy - Update

Thanks everyone for your comments!! I soooo appreciate them. I did some research on the comments and I have decided to keep a quick mood journal to keep track of how I am feeling. Then I will take that to my doctor with the list of ideas that you have. In the meantime, I am stopping by the closest Whole Foods on my way home to pick up some supplements that the Mayo Clinic website suggest could help.

From what I read good supplements for depression-like symptoms are: melatonin, St. John's Wort and SAM-e (for Serotonin), and Vitamin B6.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is depression related... about 5 years ago I was treated for depression.

One comment was artificial sweeteners such as that aspartame in diet coke could cause a problem... and that I have heard before too, however, I drink maybe 1 full can of Diet Coke ever month (if that) and I try my best to stay away from any artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup and such, so I don't think that is it. I wish it was... it would be an easy fix!! Also, someone thought it may be that I am not getting enough sleep but I literally fall asleep at 10pm and will stay asleep either for like 12 hours or until woken. I am for sure getting enough sleep! I am trying to keep my sleep to 8 hours as much as possible.

If anyone else has any other ideas on what they think it might be or other supplement ideas please let me know! I am always open to suggestions!

PS. If this doesn't work I am getting a GEO!! Thanks Jerry for the idea ;)

2 comments:

Jason Poll said...

Melatonin? Really? I used to take that when I used to have trouble sleeping...don't be surprised if it makes you crash!

Can you tell I like to link without fully reading?

Just be cautious with any self-medicating you do. Just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's completely safe. Do thorough research before popping pills, and heck, of course, I must say: "Don't take my advice, consult your doctor." :)

I've heard people call "Whole Foods" "Whole Paycheck"...is it true?

We have a small food co-op here in town that's great and yes, while certain items are expensive (organic meat and milk, for example,) we get surprisingly good deals on a lot of other health-nut foods. http://www.greenpeople.org/healthfood.htm lists three different food co-op's in Atlanta, if you ever check them out, let me know! :)

Jerry said...

I checked up on it and found that Melatonin is actually used to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which is also known as Winter Depression. It seems it happens when your body gets less light during the winter. However, I would suggest having it diagnosed before you start treating yourself for it since it is a depression-like state and that's something you don't mess around with. I would have a doctor explain all of the effects of Melatonin to you before you start taking it. I'm curious to know why it's still illegal to sell over-the-counter in many countries.