Friday, August 06, 2010

Pickled Okra

I was at the Peachtree Road Farmer's Market a few weekends ago and watched a chef demonstration from the chef and the head mixologist at JTC Kitchen.  The mixologist made Pickled Okra and thank goodness they gave out the recipe.  I mixed it up a little bit but only a little bit and made my own.  My parents, Jennie and I loved it.  Jennie and I loved it so much that I've made a second batch and Jennie has made a batch of her own as well.

Have I become southern or what...

Pickled Okra


50-60 pieces of okra
1 quart apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1 1/2 t mustard seed
1 t dill (or fennel seed)
4 cloves garlic
4 Cayenne chilies (or any other small red chilies)

Wash okra well and trim tops, leaving caps on.
Sterilize jars using a boiling water bath.
Place okra in jars.  Add seeds, garlic and chilies to jar, splitting evenly if using small jars.
Bring vinegar, salt and water to a boil.  Pour over okra in jars to cover.
Place lids tightly on jars.  If putting up, place in boiling water bath to seal, according to jar-maker's instructions.  If not sealing, refrigerate and use within a week.

No comments: