Sunday, August 09, 2009

Chicken Spinach Mango Orzo Salad

I had a GREAT birthday today!! I worked during the day and everyone was wishing me a happy day. I loved it! After work I stopped at Whole Foods to pick up some ICE CREAM (made from coconut milk), which was fabulous! I sat out on the roof for a few minutes before deciding it was just too hot to make it any longer. I got to spend time with Erinleigh at my apartment while she made me an amazing birthday cake. Then Jenny (who lives in my building and I generally hang out with n the roof) came over. A while after that George, Miranda and Joe came over. We hung out and I ate so much sugar I think I am high!! I have pictures I need to up load, but that will happen another night...

I also made the following salad today and it is amazing. The only thing I will add in is some chili powder or something with just a hint of spice. Otherwise its perfect!!

For Chicken:
1 large chicken breast
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt

For the Salad:
1 ½ cup orzo
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. sea salt or to taste
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup edamame
1 mango, diced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
4 cups fresh spinach , chopped
1 canned sweet red pepper, diced
Freshly ground pepper


Directions:

For Chicken:
Whisk orange juice, vinegars and salt. Dice chicken into chunks and add to marinade. Marinate 30 minutes.

In a large stalk pot, add water and bring to just a boil. Add chicken and marinate and cook until chicken is no longer pink.

For the Salad:
Cook orzo according to package directions ; drain in colander.

While orzo cooks, whisk the orange juice, oil, vinegar, orange zest and salt in a large bowl.

Add edamame, onion, mango, chicken, and orzo to bowl and stir with a rubber spatula to mix well. Stir in spinach and red pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Enjoy!!

No comments: