Saturday, June 26, 2010

Zucchini Quiche

Thursday night I was able to go with Jennie, Jeff, Bennett and a few others to Screen on The Green to watch Star Wars (the original). Although we weren't as into it as those around us (we didn't come dressed up as storm troopers or bring our light sabers) we had a blast!  It has been soooooo long since I have watched a movie outside and I honestly forgot how much I loved going.  Unfortunately this is the last Screen on the Green movie for this summer.  Thank goodness Flicks on Fifth is still going strong!

Before the movie, we had to eat!  And Dianne (my manager at work who has an amazing green thumb) gave me some yellow squash, zucchini, and cucumbers from her garden!!! I was so excited I knew what needed to be made... Zucchini Quiche!! Yay!!! Now, what I grew up on had lots of cheese and butter.  I can't have either one anymore, so I did a quick Google search and found this recipe.  Of course I changed it up to what I had so here is my version...

Zucchini Quiche

  • 1 tube crescent rolls
  • 2 t yellow mustard
  • 2 t olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini/yellow squash
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1/2 t paprika
  • 1/4 t chili powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 2 medium canned roasted red peppers, diced 
  • 1 package low-fat firm silken tofu
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 t spicy brown mustard
  • 1/2 t freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 2 T pine nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a 9" pie pan roll out the crescent rolls to make a crust.  Top with yellow mustard.

In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Zucchini/yellow squash, garlic, paprika, chili powder, and onion powder and cook, stirring, until vegetables have wilted and most of liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool completely.

In food processor, puree tofu. Add egg, spicy brown mustard, and black pepper and process until very smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of work bowl with rubber spatula. Add to bowl with vegetables; add basil and stir until well blended. Pour into crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with pine nuts.

Bake quiche until filling has just set, about 45 minutes. Cut into wedges.

No comments: