Thursday, May 27, 2010

Copy Kat

Once again... not a lot of cooking this week.  Mostly I've been making variations of this recipe because kale has been sounding really, really good to me.  Both the recipes I made this week came from Glue & Glitter, a blog site that I am falling in love with. 


First she made a tofu recipe that I changed up a little bit.  She baked (probably healthier) and I pan fried in coconut oil.  Here is what I did...

Vinaigrette Tofu

1 block tofu, cut into strips
1/2c your favorite vinaigrette (I used Red Wine Vinaigrette) 

Marinate the tofu in the vinaigrette for at least an hour before cooking.  In a cast iron skillet on medium-high melt the coconut oil and pan fry on each side until golden brown.


The second recipe was a little more complicated than the first (which is not hard to be right) but it was pretty amazing. I made this up for Erinleigh, George and Richard (who now walked in front of me with a walker... how amazing is that?!!??!!).  There are some new dietary restrictions that I'm aware of so I made it a little different than I would have had I made it just for me but it turned out really well.

Cheesy Pasta Casserole with Swiss Chard and Fennel

1 box rotini pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large bunch Swiss chard – chiffonade the leaves and chop the stems
1/2 cup corn 
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2c Daiya cheddar shreds (for those who can have cheese do the real thing)
1/2c raw sunflower seeds

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is boiling…

Preheat the oven to 375.

Heat the oil over medium high in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic, and Swiss chard stems until the onions turn translucent. Add the chard leaves and corn, cook for about 5 minutes more, or until the chard is wilted.

Drain the pasta add canned tomatoes and toss it with the veggies in a 9×12″ baking pan and top with the Daiya and then the sunflower seeds. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sunflower seeds are a little brown.

1 comment:

Glue and Glitter said...

Those variations sound delicious! I'm glad you dig my site. :) Yours is awesome, too!