Friday, March 05, 2010

Tamale Pie

This week I made George, Erinleigh, and Richard a Tamale Pie on Tuesday.  I love having people to cook for!!  I got the original from the link above that was to be in a crock pot, however I couldn't go home at noon to make it and it says it cooks in less than 8 hours so I didn't want to burn it.  Instead I made mine in the oven and it turned out pretty well!

Tamale Pie

Cornbread topping:
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup flour (I used barley flour)
1 cup almond milk
4tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder

Filling:
1 can drained and rinsed black bean1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1 small onion, diced
1/2 lb pre-cooked beef, cubed
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 glass pan with cooking spray. 

Mix all filling ingredients together and stir well to distribute the spices. Heat in microwave for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. .Put in glass pan.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown.

No comments: