Saturday, March 28, 2009

Butt Can Chicken

It has a lot of different names but this is what my family calls it so that's what I'm calling it. This is a recipe I got from my Dad and he generally makes it on the grill. However, since I am female and my domain is not a grill but a kitchen I had to make it in the oven. Here was what I did...



Get a few chickens anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds. You will need to wash the chicken thoroughly, and remove all innards. Be sure to pat the chicken dry.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put the following seasonings on the chicken both inside and out:
  • Chicken Seasoning (I use Zehnder's but any good Chicken Seasoning will do)
  • Poultry Seasoning
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Paprika
Then take 1 can of beer that has been set at room temperature and using a bottle opener, punch several holes in the top of the can. This will help the beer escape while it cooks. You will need to empty out about 2/3's of the beer so about 1/3 is left in the can.

Next, place the chicken over the beer can. Holding the chicken upright, place the chicken over the beer can until the can is snugly fit inside the chicken. I then put the chicken over a sheet tray with sizes to catch the drippings.

Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours, or until the skin is crisp, the chicken meat is done, and the juice runs clear. You don’t need to baste the chicken; the beer will ensure that the chicken remains moist. Remove the chicken from the oven and separate the chicken from the beer can. Let stand ten minutes before carving.


Enjoy cause this stuff is awesome!!

No comments: