Sunday, October 05, 2008

Red Lentil Curry Soup

As I was going thru blogs the other day I found a recipe for Red Lentil Curry Soup from this site. It sounded really good and I had all the ingredients on hand so I made it this weekend.

PS this weekend I slept all weekend long... I don't know what was wrong but I literally slept in my bed or on my couch about 90% of the weekend. I was awake just enough to eat and watch a few movies... but I would wake up and fall asleep in the middle of most of the movies.

Anyway, back to the recipe. As usual, I changed it up a bit so check out the link above for the original. Here is what I did...




Ingredients:
3/4 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups of water, plus a little more1 cup uncooked red lentils
1 cup vegetable stock
16 baby carrots, sliced
1 tsp bay leaf
1 tsp mild curry powder
1″ fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp cilantro
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cloves
1-2 tsp garam masala
1 cup lite coconut milk
salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
1. line a large pot with a thin layer of water
2. turn heat on high and add onions
3. boil/saute for three minutes, add garlic
4. continue to cook until most of the water has cooked off
5. add vegetable stock, water, lentils, carrots, bay leaf, curry, ginger, cilantro, flakes and cloves
6. bring to a boil
7. cover and reduce to low
8. simmer 20 minutes
(or until lentils are cooked and most of the water has absorbed)
9. stir in garam masala
10. let sit (no heat, but covered) 5 minutes - optional
11. transfer to a blender
12. add soy milk or coconut milk
13. puree until smooth and creamy
14. salt and pepper to taste

Note: the older the soup gets, the more flavorful it becomes– if you can, make it a day in advanced.

I am eating some right now and am loving it!! Its a nice fall soup!!

No comments: