Sunday, August 05, 2007

Volunteering

So, I have had another busy week!!

The chruch has updated the name for the 'small group'... they now call them 'community groups' which is probably good because everyone at work makes fun of the name 'small group' they say it sounds like an AA meeting or something. So, now I am trying to use the term community group when referring to the group of women I meet with on Monday evenings.

Either way, we have been reading a book called Peeking into a Box of Chocolates and we read a chapter basically on greed. They recommended volunteering as a way to help with greed, which is something that I had been wanting to do both in and out of church. The trouble for me was I work on Sundays and there was no real way for me to help out (I run straight from work to Church). So, I said a little prayer and then went onto their website. I didn't find anything about signing up as a weekday volunteer however I did find a link to become a member of the church. I decided to give it a try. So, I am now in the application stage of becomming a member of a church!

So, I went to church last Sunday and was thumbing thru the bulletin and found that they are now looking for weekday volunteers! God said 'ask and you shall receive' right! He wasn't kidding! So, on Monday I emailed the appropriate parties and started volunteering on Wednesday. It's mostly just light office work but its a start for volunteering inside the church.

But, that didn't take care of my want to volunteer outside the church. I did some more research online and found a group thru Hands on Atlanta that delivers food to the homeless. So, Wednesday morning I joined them and had my first experience inside a shelter. It was a mens shelter and it was an overflow shelter... so basically they take everyone that the other shelters didn't take. There were a few things that I am not sure about with the group but I need to keep volunteering... whether or not I stay with this same grouop.

On Thursday I went to a lecture at the High Art Museum. Kendol got me a Marta pass so I can now get around Atlanta without having to drive (its pretty nice) so I took that to the museum. I am a member of the Museum so I try to go at least once a month to check it out! On Thursday they had a lecture on a painting called 'Mrs. Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes (Edith Minturn)' by Cecilia Beaux. It was really interesting to learn about the lady who painted and the lady who was painted!

That night Victor and I had a 'Going Out' night. We went to Geisha House, a new sushi bar/lounge in Atlantic Station. We had a ton of fun people watching!!

Friday I did a ton of walking. I walked all around Piedmont Park, ran some errands, and walked to Trader Joes to get some groceries and then walked about a mile or so home. I think I over did it though because I woke up yesterday morning with a pretty sore back... which hasn't gotten better yet! Hopefully it won't take too long to get over this! Hehe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck finding the right place to volunteer & hope your back is feeling better!!

Love, Dad & Mom