Saturday, February 20, 2010

Spicy Southwestern Soup

I went to Bahama Breeze on Monday with my friend Elizabeth from work.  I wasn't feeling well and wanted soup and had their Mexican soup.  I loved it and thought I could recreate it and make it my own.  Here is what I have come up with.  My taste-tester Jennie loved it.  I think its my favorite soup so far.  And I eat a lot of soup!


Remember:  when I make soup I'm a lot like Rachael Ray in that I don't measure.  So these are all very rough measurements.

1/2 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup frozen tri-color sweet peppers
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp chili power

32 oz chicken stock
32 oz homemade vegetable stock
1 potato, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 tsp chili power
couple pinches crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin power
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 chicken breast, pre-cooked and sliced
1/2 cup lima beans
1 can diced tomatoes



Turn the broiler on high.  On a sheet tray:  the first 1/3: mix the corn, jalapeno, garlic and chili power together.  The second 1/3:  sweet peppers.  Last 1/3:  mix the onion and olive oil.  Broil mixing every 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are roasted.  You may need to take some of the vegetables out at different times, which is why you want to roast them seperately.

While veggies are roasting, in a large soup pot over medium-high heat add chicken stock and vegetable stock. Add the potato and let cook 5 minutes.  Add carrots and cook 5 more minutes.  Add celery and seasonings.  Bring the soup to a boil and turn down to medium heat. Add chicken and lima beans; cover.  Cook 5 more minutes.  Add tomatoes.  Simmer 10 more minutes.

I didn't have it here, however avocado would be a great topper!

 

Enjoy!!

No comments: