Saturday, June 27, 2009

Strawberries & Steamed Greens

I had a ton of fun this past week but it was jam packed so I am exhausted today and sitting on my couch watching 'Baby Mama' on HBO while drinking ice coffee. What a great A.M!!!!

Week in review... on Monday was small group, I know, it's normally on Wednesday but we changed it for this week. As always, I loved it!!! On Tuesday my friend Kelli came over and we cooked and then ate on the roof. It was great being able to chat and get to know each other better. I am loving having some great girlfriends. And speaking of which, I went to Lynnette's house on Wednesday and she made dinner and we watched a movie. I also got to meet her new puppy Cooley... which has the biggest paws of any puppy I have ever seen!! That sweet little puppy is going to be huge!! Thursday night I had my first CAMBODIA MISSION TRIP meeting!!! I am super stoked to be going in December!! Yesterday I was very busy... and it was my day off! I had a lot of errands to run and that took a good majority of the day. At night I went with Teesha to the Horizon Theater to watch a play. It was sooooo fun!!

So, I bet you are wondering what Kelli and I made for dinner. Well, I had veggie burgers in the freezer so we had that with corn on the cob, steamed greens and grilled strawberries & banana. The steamed greens were amazing and the grilled strawberries and banana was eeeh, ok, but would have been amazing had we been eating waffles! Seriously, I so will have to do them again when I made waffles, pancakes, or those little personal pies that you make when you are camping. You know, the ones that you make over the fire.

Anyway, here are the recipes in case you want to make them yourself!

Steamed Greens with Caramelized Leeks

1 Tbs. olive oil
2 large leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced (11/2 cups)
1 bunch any dark, hardy green (12 oz.), tough veins removed, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1 tomato, largely diced

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, and saute 5 minutes, or until soft. Reduce heat to low; add Swiss chard and garlic. Cover pan with aluminum foil, and steam greens 7 to 9 minutes, or until wilted and tender. Once the greens are almost done, turn the oven off and add the tomato. Leave the aluminum foil on the pan and let the tomatoes steam for a few minutes.


Grilled Strawberries and Bananas

2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
Pinch salt
Pinch cinnamon
1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
1 banana, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds

Heat a grill pan to medium. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, canola oil, salt and cinnamon. Add the strawberries and bananas, then toss gently to coat. Reserve any of the glaze remaining in the bowl. Oil the grill pan. Grill the fruit for 2 to 3 minutes until there are light grill marks. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the skewered fruit with any remaining glaze, then turn and grill, covered, for another 2 to 3 minutes. Put all the fruit back into the original bowl. If you let it sit for a few minutes the glaze will thicken up. Very yummy!!

No comments: