Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cooking with Kristi(e)!

Lets switch from Indian to Korean.

And, by this, I mean... I can't believe I haven't posted this sooner. Actually... I totally thought I had...

So, months ago now my roommate, also named Kristi -- hence the post title -- and I went to our Korean friend's house and had the most amazing dinner. She kept telling us that we could make it ourselves. Of course we had to try.

Luckily Kristi has spent a year living in Korea and has a huge love of almost all things Korean so she knows what most of the ingredients are. She was able to go to the Korean market and get rice cakes and fish cakes. She was also able to walk me thru Bayon Market as I got the red pepper paste. We have made it twice and loved it both times.

Dukbokki (spicy rice cakes)
4 cups water
rice cakes (we used about 1/2 package)
fish cakes (we used about 1/2 package)
4 T red pepper paste
2 T sugar
1/4 t red pepper flakes (optional)
1 t soy sauce
1/2 large onion, largely diced
ramen

In a pot, boil the water for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat. Add the rice cakes, red pepper paste, sugar, and hotpepper flakes. Stir it constantly.
When the water starts to evaporate and the mixture starts to get thick add the onion, ramen and soy sauce the pot.

Keep stirring until the sauce is thick, the rice cake is shiny, and the ramen is cooked.


Other ingredients that I noticed in a lot of dukbokki recipes are garlic and sesame seeds.  Feel free to add those too if you would like.

No comments: