Thursday, January 05, 2012

Tortilla-less Enchiladas and Corn Bread

I haven't been blogging much because, well, I haven't been cooking much!  But, I have found my new favorite cooking website and made a slight spinoff of a few of her recipes so I have to tell you what I did.

If you want to follow an amazing blog with the best vegan recipes check out Oh She Glows.  For each recipe I'll link to the original so you can see her's too.  The originals are pretty amazing, you will love them.

First up, I made her Flat and Crisp Corn Bread.   I didn't really mix this up at all so check out the recipe and make it up.

Next is Oh She Glows Vegan Enchiladas.  Here is my version:

Sweet Potato Enchiladas

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil2 sweet onion, chopped (~2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large sweet potato, chopped
2 bell pepper, chopped
2 handfuls spinach, chopped
~ 2 cups black beans (I had dried that I reconstituted and then froze but you can use canned as well)
Enchilada sauce (see recipe below)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
guacamole

1. Pre-cook the chopped sweet potato, I steamed them in my rice cooker but you can do it over the stove too. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.

2. In a large skillet or pot, add oil and bring to medium to low heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add in garlic and peppers and reduce heat to low and cook for a couple more minutes. Now add the chopped pepper, pre-cooked sweet potato, drained black beans, and chopped spinach. Cook for about 5-7 more minutes on medium-low heat.

3. Now add in your enchilada or pasta sauce. Stir well, and add in your seasonings: nutritional yeast (optional), cumin, fresh lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chili powder- all to taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir well.

4. Spoon into a bowl, top with guacamole, and dip in your corn bread (see recipe above) and enjoy!!  Delicious!!




The enchilada sauce from Clean Green Simple sounded amazing for this but I didn't have enough chili powder so I used what I had on hand.  It was quite spicy so if you don't like spice cut back a bit.

Enchilada Sauce

2 tbsp chili Powder
1 tbsp chili chipotle power
1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp flour
1 14oz can Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cups water

Mix all dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, water, and spice mix and stir until well combined. Heat until the sauce is warmed through and as thick as you like (if it starts out thicker than you’d like just add more water). Use wherever you would use enchilada sauce.

No comments: